Tier 2 Minister of Religion Visa
Understanding the Minister of Religion Visa in the UK
The Minister of Religion Visa is designed for religious workers and missionaries who want to work in the UK. To be eligible, applicants must be at least 18, have a job offer as a Minister of Religion, and meet the English language and financial requirements.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Leading prayers and religious gatherings
- Teaching or preaching religious values
- Officiating events such as weddings
- Offering counseling and support to members
- Managing volunteers and coordinating missionary activities
- Handling administrative duties like IT, accounts, or finance
- Interpreting religious texts
Duration and Extension:
The visa is typically granted for 3 years and 1 month but can be extended. After 5 years, holders may apply for Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR) and then UK citizenship.
Rights and Considerations:
With this visa, you can:
- Work full-time for your sponsor
- Work for a second employer (subject to rules)
- Volunteer and study part-time
- Travel to and from the UK
- Bring eligible dependants to the UK
- If planning to study elsewhere, you must apply under the student visa route.
- If intending to work as a school teacher, apply under the Skilled Worker category instead.
- Must have a Certificate of Sponsorship from a licensed sponsor
- Must meet the English language requirements
- Must show evidence of financial stability and travel history
Salary and Financial Requirements:
- Must receive a salary at least equal to settled workers in the same job
- Must comply with the national minimum wage requirements
- Must show evidence of sufficient funds (£1,270 in a bank account or support from an A-rated sponsor)
English Language Requirements:
- Must be at level B2 on the CEFR scale or have a degree taught in English
- Exemptions for certain countries
Visa Extension Process:
The extension process includes completing an online application, providing proof of identity, paying a fee of £704, and supplying required documents. It typically takes around 8 weeks to process.
Certificate of Sponsorship Requirements:
The Certificate of Sponsorship is digital and confirms details such as name, job, salary, qualifications, and duties. It also verifies that the role aligns with the sponsor’s religious order.
The Minister of Religion Visa provides a pathway for religious workers to engage in faith-based activities in the UK, ensuring they have the support and recognition necessary for their valuable work.
Looking For a Professional Visa Company?
Financial Requirements for Minister of Religion Visa
To qualify financially for the Minister of Religion visa, you must meet one of the following:
- Have resided in the UK with permission for at least 12 months on the application date.
- Have an A-rated sponsor providing your maintenance and accommodation for the first month.
- Show proof of £1,270 in your bank account for 28 days before applying. If you have dependents, you must also show £285 for your partner, £315 for one child, and £200 for each additional child.
English Language Requirements
You must prove your English Language proficiency by:
- Demonstrating a B2 level on the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (CEFR) scale.
- Holding a degree taught in English.
- Being from an exempt country, including nations like Canada, Australia, New Zealand, and the USA.
Minister of Religion Visa Extension
If approved, your visa will be granted for up to 3 years and 1 month. You can extend it for another 3 years, totaling 6 years. To extend, you must:
- Fulfill the same eligibility criteria.
- Obtain a new Certificate of Sponsorship.
- Complete the online application form, provide identity proof, pay £704, and provide requested documents.
The extension process takes around 8 weeks, but you can continue working during this period.
About the Minister of Religion Visa
Intended for religious order members or missionaries, the Minister of Religion visa allows for activities like leading prayers, teaching, officiating events, counseling, and coordinating missionary work. It’s typically granted for up to 3 years and 1 month and can be further extended. After 5 years, you can apply for Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR), and then UK citizenship.
You’ll be able to work full-time for your sponsor, carry out voluntary work, study part-time, travel freely, and bring eligible dependents.
To be eligible, you must be 18 years or older, have a job offer, a Certificate of Sponsorship, meet English language requirements, have sufficient funds, evidence of travel history, clear tuberculosis test result, and not own more than 10% of your sponsor’s shares (unless earning over £159,600 annually).
You must earn a salary at least equal to settled workers in the same job and comply with the UK’s national minimum wage.
Certificate of Sponsorship Requirements
You’ll need a job offer and Certificate of Sponsorship from a T2 Minister of Religion Visa sponsor licence holder. Your online Certificate will include personal information and details about your role and salary.
Applicants planning to study or work full-time as a teacher in certain organizations must apply under different visa categories.
By adhering to these guidelines, you can successfully obtain and extend the Minister of Religion visa, allowing you to fulfill your religious duties within the UK.