Spouse Visa Application
What is the Spouse Visa in the UK?
The UK spouse visa, also known as the partner and spouse visa, lets eligible foreign people live with their partners in the UK if their partners are British citizens or settled persons (like those with Indefinite Leave to Remain or EU Settled Status). Marrying a British citizen doesn’t automatically give you the right to live in the UK. Instead, you must apply for a Spouse Visa to be with your partner in the UK. This visa applies to married people, those in a civil partnership, or unmarried couples.
To be eligible, you must meet specific criteria. If approved, you will initially get this visa for 2 years and 9 months. After that, you can extend your stay and even apply for Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR) later, letting you live in the UK permanently without following immigration rules. You may also become eligible for British citizenship by marriage.
Who Can Apply for a Spouse Visa?
If you are a foreign national, you can apply if your partner in the UK:
- Is a British or Irish citizen
- Is settled in the UK with Indefinite Leave to Remain, permanent residence, or EU Settled Status
- Has refugee status or humanitarian protection in the UK
- Has a Turkish Businessperson visa or Turkish Worker visa
You must plan to live together in the UK and provide evidence of your real and ongoing relationship.
UK Spouse Visa Requirements 2023
For a successful application, you must prove:
- Your relationship is genuine
- You can support yourselves financially: minimum gross annual income of £18,600
- You have proper housing in the UK
- You meet English language requirements: at least level A1 for your first application
UK Spouse Visa Fee/Cost in 2023
In 2023, the application fee is £1,048 if made inside the UK and £1,538 outside the UK. Extra costs include a £624 Immigration Healthcare Surcharge yearly and a £19.20 biometric fee. If you wish for a decision by the next working day, there’s an £800 super priority charge.
Spouse Visa Extension
After the initial 2 years and 9 months, you can extend the visa for another 2 years and 6 months. You must maintain the same eligible relationship with your UK partner and apply before your current visa expires.
Looking For a Professional Visa Company?
Spouse Visa to ILR
After living in the UK for 5 years on this visa, you can apply for ILR. This means you can stay in the UK forever without immigration control. To get ILR, you must:
- Live in the UK for 5 years as a partner on a family visa
- Live with your partner since your last visa renewal
- Be in a real and ongoing relationship with your partner
- Plan to keep your relationship after applying for ILR
- Meet English language and Life in the UK requirements
- Have suitable accommodation
- Still meet the financial needs.