Unique-Visa-Services Logo

Civil Partner Visa

Understanding the Civil Partner Visa in the UK.

In the UK, there’s not a distinct visa just for civil partners. Instead, civil partners are included under the Spouse Visa category. This allows overseas partners, whether same-sex or opposite-sex, of British citizens or people settled in the UK, to come and live here.

Initially, you can stay for 33 months, and you can extend this by another 30 months if you wish. After five uninterrupted years in the UK with a Civil Partner Visa, you can apply for permanent residency, also known as Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Once you have ILR, you can live, work, and study in the UK without needing any more visa renewals. After one more year, you can even apply for British citizenship.

Civil Partner Visa Requirements.

Here are some key requirements you should meet for a Civil Partner Visa:

Authentic and Recognized Civil Partnership: The Home Office will check if your civil partnership with a British or Irish citizen or someone settled in the UK is authentic and recognized. If you’re uncertain about how to prove this, feel free to contact our immigration experts.

Plan to Form a Civil Partnership: If you aim to form a civil partnership with a UK citizen after arriving, you’ll need to prove that any prior civil partnerships are over and you plan to formalize the new one within six months.

Income Threshold: You and your UK-based partner must jointly earn at least £18,600 per year. If you have kids, there’s an added cost: £3,800 for the first child and £2,400 for each additional one.

Different Ways to Meet the Income Requirement: This can be achieved through various means like employment, self-employment, investment income, pensions, or even savings above £16,000. Savings can also lower the income requirement. For instance, if you have £21,000 in savings, you only need to show an income of £16,600.

Proficiency in English: If you’re between 18 and 65, you’ll need to prove your English skills, either by coming from a qualified English-speaking nation, holding a relevant academic degree, or passing an approved English test.

shape 04 2

Highly Recommended by 100s of Clients!

Frequently Asked Questions

Usually, after 5 years in the UK, you can apply for ILR. You must have lived here continuously and lawfully, not exceeding 180 days abroad in any year. Plus, you’ll need to pass the Life in the UK Test and have a clear criminal record.

The Civil Partner Visa is for long-term stays and leads to UK permanent residency. On the other hand, the Proposed Civil Partner or Fiance Visa is short-term, valid for only 6 months. It requires you to register your civil partnership in that time, and you can’t work during this period. Later, you can switch to a Civil Partner Visa.

Yes, especially if you’re already in the UK with a Proposed Civil Partner Visa. After registering your civil partnership, you can switch to the long-term Civil Partner Visa. You might also switch from other eligible visa types.

This guide aims to make the Civil Partner Visa process straightforward. For any more queries or personalized advice, please visit our dedicated page or contact our expert team.

Have A Question?

shape 04 2

If you have any queries about the Unique Visa Services or your wellness journey, we’re here to help. Reach out to us anytime.


Please Select Office

We operate out of two distinguished offices in the UK. Kindly choose the one you prefer to initiate your call.